Finally arrived at Bali! 🥰 Indonesia🇲🇨 is my newly visited country in ASEAN since I had Thailand 3 years ago. I intended to visit last August 2020 but unfortunately got cancelled due to pandemic 😢. I waited for the travel restrictions to relax to get back on track. Luckily, I still have AirAsia credits for Bali airfare one way and my CebPac promo fare back to Manila still intact after consecutive rebooking. With skyrocketing airfares today, I don’t wanna sacrifice my hard-earned promo flights so I pushed and best decision ever🥰 What a beautiful time to spend my birthday month abroad.🇲🇨🥰
Note that I went to Coron prior this trip. 🥰
August 14-17, 2022 (Bali, Indonesia)
1₱ = 222IDR (Philippine Peso PHP to Indonesian Rupiah IDR)
Itinerary and Expenses (4D3N)
Airlines: AirAsia and Cebu Pacific
₱8278.29 – MNL-DPS (Regular fare one way at the time of booking) (Booked 11 Jul 2022)
USD41.70≈₱2316.44 – DPS-MNL (USD1 promo base fare one way) (Booked 03 Mar 2022)
*Make sure you have updated VaxCertPH or BOQ Yellow card with booster (3rd dose) to be exempted in swab test requirement, whether entering Indonesia or going back to Philippines. Check updated travel requirements of destination.
Travel tax: ₱1620
Prebooked via KLOOK app:
₱1905 – Bali Private Car Rental with Driver (12 Hours)
₱2277 – West Nusa Penida Full Day Trip
₱1753 – Bali Private Transfer (Ubud City Center to Kuta/Airport)
Paid in cash in Bali (in Indonesian Rupiah IDR):
Lempuyang Shuttle Roundtrip – 45000
Surcharge for Lempuyang (paid to driver) – 250000
₱372 – Bali Ngurah Rai International Airport (DPS) 30 days 18GB by Telkomsel Data only via KLOOK
65000 IDR – Paid the SIM card delivery fee at accommodation
Lempuyang Temple – 55000
Fish Feed for Tirta Gangga – 5000
Tirta Gangga Water Palace – 50000
Taman Soekasada Ujung – 75000
Tegallalang Rice Terraces at Uma Ceking – 50000
306000 IDR – Nuriani Restaurant and Rooms IDR153K/per night (2nights) = IDR306K
Address: Jl. Hanoman Pengosekan, 80361 Ubud,
Indonesia (near Central Ubud)
D1: MNL Departure at night
D2: DPS Arrival past midnight. Wait at airport until 6am for Bali Day Tour (12-hour Bali Private Car Rental with Driver)
D3: West Nusa Penida Full Day Trip and Souvenir Shopping (just walked to Jalan Monkey Forest near Ubud Palace)
D4: Early check-out and DPS departure (Bali Private Transfer)
TOTAL EXPENSES (EXCLUDING AIRFARE, FOOD AND SHOPPING): ₱11,985.57
Highlights per Island:
EAST OF BALI
-Lempuyang Temple (famous for Heaven’s Gate and view of Mt. Agung; one of six Bali’s holiest temples)
-Tirta Gangga Water Palace (former royal palace with ponds for fish feeding)
-Taman Soekasada Ujung (former palace with Dutch building and vast gardens)
-Tegallalang Rice Terraces at Uma Ceking (rice terraces north of Ubud with swing rides)
-Angel’s Billabong (natural infinity pool at low tide with crashing sea waves)
-Broken Beach (little cove with an archway)
-Kelingking Beach (secluded scenic beach resembling little finger)
-Crystal Bay (bay for swimming and snorkeling)
INDONESIA (BALI) ITINERARY
1ST DAY (SUNDAY) MNL Departure at night
4:00 PM At NAIA terminal 3, pay first Travel Tax before checking-in for boarding pass
7:15 PM FLIGHT. Manila time and Bali time are same. Same clock to GMT+8 CIT or Central Indonesia Time
2ND DAY (MONDAY) DPS Arrival delayed past midnight. Wait at airport until 6am for Bali Day Tour (12-hour Bali Private Car Rental with Driver)
12:44 AM DPS Delayed arrival. Use Bali Airport Free Wifi to contact the driver using WhatsApp
Wait at airport until 6am for Bali Day Tour
6:00 AM Meet the driver/guide for Bali day tour. ETD Bali Airport to Lempuyang by KLOOK.
8:00 AM Lempuyang Temple. Bought shuttle tickets at parking area, then at drop off, buy Lempuyang tickets near gate. It has queue number in it for photoshoot in the Heaven’s Gate. Advisable to be VERY early!
11:00 AM Left Lempuyang for Tirta Gangga.
11:30 AM Buy Fish feed for Tirta Gangga fish
1:00 PM Taman Soekasada Ujung
2:00 PM ETD Taman Soekasada Ujung
4:00 PM Tegallalang Rice Terraces at Uma Ceking
6:00 PM End of day tour. Paid the surcharge directly to driver. Check-in at Nuriani.
8:00 PM DINNER
9:00 PM REST
3RD DAY (TUESDAY) West Nusa Penida Full Day Trip and Souvenir Shopping (just walked to Jalan Monkey Forest near Ubud Palace)
5:00 AM BREAKFAST
6:00 AM Pick up at Circle K91 in Ubud for West Nusa Penida Full Day Trip
7:45 AM ETD Sanur Port
8:45 AM ETA Nusa Penida Port
10:00 AM ETA Angel’s Billabong
10:45 AM ETA Broken Beach
12:00 PM ETA Kelingking Beach
1:10 PM LUNCH
2:15 PM ETA Crystal Bay
4:30 PM ETD Nusa Penida Port
5:30 PM ETA Sanur Port. Same driver will drop you at Circle K91 in Ubud
6:45 PM ETA Ubud. Bought souvenirs at shops along Jalan Monkey Forest.
DINNER Warung Garasi for Nasi Campur or Nasi Goreng
8:00 PM Go to AlfaMart at Jalan Hanoman for some grocery shopping!
4TH DAY (WEDNESDAY) Early check-out and DPS departure (Bali Private Transfer)
BREAKFAST (Eat at airport to check-in early)
5:00 AM Check-out from Nuriani. Bali Private Transfer to Bali Airport
6:00 AM ETA Ngurah Rai International Airport
You can buy more snacks and souvenirs after passing immigration with your remaining IDRs!
8:35 AM FLIGHT.
12:50 PM PH ARRIVAL
1. Because CebPac’s Promo fare last March with USD1 promo base fare DPS-MNL, I was able to secure a cheap flight prior to skyrocketing fuel surcharge and fees later. Tickets nowadays are almost 10x. For AirAsia MNL-DPS, I booked a regular fare for August 14 because I have Coron trip Aug 10-13 to avoid conflict; instead consecutive only.
2. Be mindful of dress code and related etiquette especially when visiting temples and palaces. In Lempuyang, sarong is free lent to guests. My Balinese guide wore sarong for me. The rules when visiting temples are posted in the entrance that knees and shoulders should be covered, no revealing clothing, females with menstruation are forbidden to enter, etc. There are marshalls on the area. So my #OOTD in D2 is a bit modest clothing (Ex: men: polo pants; women: decent blouse and long skirts).
3. They follow left-hand side of the road (like Japan and UK) so the flow of people, always left moving forward. Hassle-free if you’re in private car/transfer but when you’re solo, it’s up to you. You can save more when you’re in a group to split expenses. My accommodation is actually good for 2 pax but it’s already cheap because 3D2N is not more than 1.5k pesos! There are many cheap accommodations I chose in Ubud so I can be in central Bali. It’s hot this August (up to 30 degree Celsius) so always rehydrate. Use sunblock against heat and it’s cheaper when buying drinking water in grocery to save, then refill using your tumbler. If there’s free drinking water in your hotel, just refill there. Beacause I checked in central Ubud, in few steps away there are restaurants, shops, convenience stores and ATM machines available. Though the cheap meals (in warungs) are hidden in alleys like Warung Garasi. Your 20K IDR Nasi Goreng is the same price as one ref magnet…hehe. As much as possible I want to eat local dish so even it’s a kilometer away from my hotel, I’ll go there. Try betutu, nasi campur, ayam soto and nasi goreng. Sidewalks are well-lit but be careful in walking and crossing because their streets are very narrow in Bali like in Ubud. There are uphill and downhill roads so be careful. The little offering of flowers or “canang sari” scattered in roads, temples, bathrooms, as much as possible don’t stomp or remove. Respect the Balinese culture because those are their everyday offerings.
4. Goods are cheap in AlfaMart and grocery supermarkets. Maybe there are Indonesian meals I haven’t noticed because I focused on what I can bring with my hand carry pauwi back to Philippines. Candies and noodles for light baggage.
5. For data SIM, if you’ll arrive Bali in wee hours (e.g. between 8pm-8am), just buy data SIM there at arrival area like Telkomsel. In my case, I had it delivered to my hotel so my delivery charge is 65K IDR. I had alloted it instead to my food budget. Please install WhatsApp for communication to tour operators because it’s their preferred medium.
6. I initially planned to visit Lempuyang Temple and Ulun Danu Batur in a day but as advised by tour operator in KLOOK, the two are very far apart so I chose Lempuyang Temple then visit nearby spots in East of Bali. I didn’t realize that Lempuyang is VERY FAR from Bali airport so my 2-hour trip was spent to transportation . I stayed at Lempuyang for 3 hours due to queuing in photoops at Gate of Heaven (‘candi bentar’ or split gate). I’m #99 in queue so since I’m there already, I waited for my turn. You can roam around premises of temple while waiting for your turn. Advisable if you’ll be in Lempuyang VERY EARLY in the morning or if you prefer sunset before going dark. Promise they’re expert in taking those pictures! Mind your poses when you’re in gate. It’s worth the wait…hehe Refer to Google Maps and Maps.Me for nearby spots to visit, like Tirta Gangga and Taman Ujung.
7. Take note of opening hours ng temples, restaurants and night markets. Ubud Market is currently closed as it’s under construction so the souvenir shops are scattered in nearby streets. In Jalan Monkey Forest I searched for refmagnets and other souvenirs. 20K IDR is the cheapest refmagnet I bought. Goodluck in hunting! I initially allotted 100k per meal so the excess, I bought snacks. In Nusa Penida, I suggest wear shorts and sandals and use dry bag because you’ll get your half-body wet in going to fastcraft. I spent nothing because lunch is included in package. Just bring snacks and drinking water to save money. If you’ll use toilet, 5K IDR is the charge (pee or poo or shower) especially when you’ll swim in Crystal Bay, you need to wash up so don’t forget to bring cash.
8. For currency, OK if you reserve money in Czarina Money exchange but they’re closed in weekends. In NAIA3 that day of my departure, they don’t have available Indonesian Rupiah so in Bali airport, I withdrew local currency. There are ATM machines in arrival hall like BNI. Better to withdraw (1PHP=222IDR) than exchange there PHP to IDR because it’s very low 190 only. Make sure before going to Bali, enable the withdrawal abroad. Like in BDO Debit Card users, you can see it in Card Management.
9. I chose Bali Private Car for 12 hours to maximize my time around sa Bali and customized. I know there are other spots worth visiting but Lempuyang Temple is my must-visit so even if it’s too far and there’s surcharge (250K IDR), I pushed for it. You’ll be accompanied by your guide and you can have conversation with your guide about Balinese culture. I learned a lot because there are many similarities in Filipino language and Bahasa Indonesia. It’s a bit traffic in central Bali like in Ubud so my last destination is Tegallalang Rice Terraces. I also booked in KLOOK due to convenience and I got discounts using promo codes. In Nusa Penida, I chose WEST NUSA PENIDA because I want to see Kelingking beach that my friend visited. When you have customized tour, you can arrange and visit the spots where you can get wet like going to Tirta Empul or Waterfalls hopping. I attached an image of common itineraries per region or regency.
Example: North Bali Tour has the famous Ulun Danu Beratan temple that you see always promoted by Bali Tourism. Next time when I have the chance I’ll visit that! Hoping to explore other areas of Bali soon! Hope this guide helps. Enjoy your Bali trip!